REV Development - Varg South Production Cooler
Allards International Ltd undertook the thermal design, mechanical design, engineering, expediting, procurement, fabrication, and testing and inspection of the Rev Development production cooler shell and tube heat exchanger. This was designed as an integrated, vertically stacked pair of heat exchangers.
With a timeframe of just over 12 months for design, procurement and fabrication, Allards International delivered the completed package to the module yard in Burntisland, Fife in November 2007 for integration into the new module before subsequent load-out and heavy lifting of the complete module onto the Armada platform.
The final heat exchanger units weighed 32,000kg (top unit) and 35,000kg (base unit).
The Armada field, operated by BG on behalf of the Armada owners, is located 250 kilometres east of Aberdeen and 20 kilometres north of the Everest platform complex operated by BP.
Condensate and gas are exported in separate pipelines to the North Everest Riser Platform for onward transmission - the gas via the CATS pipeline to Teesside and the condensate via the Forties pipeline to Cruden Bay.
• Scope of work: shell & tube heat exchanger
• TEMA type: BFU 1500-6069
• Materials: carbon steel shell, 22% Cr channel, 22% Cr duplex-clad tubesheet; 22% Cr duplex tubes
• Design pressure bar(g): shellside 23.4, tubeside 93.6
• Design temperature min/max (C): shellside -20/105, tubeside -46/105
• Design code and regulations: PD5500:2006, TEMA R and PED 97/23/EC
• Number of tubes: 2698 (1349 U-tubes)