Toucan - industrial water heater project
Allards International Ltd has undertaken the thermal design, mechanical design, engineering, procurement, fabrication and testing of this industrial water heater - plate and gasketed heat exchanger.
The heat exchanger was customised for integration into existing pipework in an oil production facility in the Toucan Gathering Station operated by Shell Gabon in Southern Gabon, West Africa.
The Toucan Field is located in a tropical rain forest approximately 12km north east of the existing Shell Rabi Field in Gabon. The industrial water heater is being added to plant to enable more efficient clean-up of waxy deposits during routine maintenance/pigging.
Plate and gasketed heat exchangers are modular in design. The combination of different plate designs allows the optimisation of thermal transfer or pressure drops.
The modular design means systems can be adapted as conditions change, since plates can be added or replaced when required. Final weight of the unit was 120 kg.
• Scope of work: plate and gasketed heat exchanger
• HE type: PHE 250-320-832
• Materials: carbon steel frame, stainless steel plates
• Design pressure bar(g): side one 14.0, side two 14.0
• Design temperature min/max (C): side one 0/165, side two 0/165
• Design code and regulations: EN 13445 and PED 97/23/EC/3.3
• Number of plates: 6